Saturday, June 1, 2013

Myrna Loy: Puff Piece



When I moved to New York City in 1989, I began to interview those people who could tell me about the theatre and the film worlds during the time of Tennessee Williams and those people he cared most about. Tennessee adored many women--both those he knew personally and those whom he only knew via their work.

One of those women was Myrna Loy.

I wrote a letter to Ms. Loy at her Upper East Side apartment, and within a week I heard her distinctive voice on the phone. "What the hell could I possibly tell you?" she asked, but she was chuckling. When I told her about my impossible task (now completed; we'll talk), she said "Well, what the hell. Come over. I'll give you a drink and do my best."

Ms. Loy served me several martinis so dry that I did not produce saliva for nearly a week, and we were soon tipsy and giggly and like old friends. I'll write up her comments some other time, some other place. What is important is what she served with that martini, and I've learned that it is a recipe, allegedly devised in conjunction with the crowning of a Miss Wisconsin many years ago, and much beloved by a certain style of Upper East Side lady.

It's not bad. You provide the liquor and the badinage.

 

Broiled Green Onion and Cheddar Cheese Puffs


Ingredients

• ½ cup mayonnaise 

• 2/3 cup shredded Swiss or aged cheddar cheese

• ¼ cup chopped green onion (or fresh chives or leeks)

• ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper (optional, but it really adds a lovely crunch)

• ½ tsp worcestershire sauce (could use Tabasco/sweet chilli instead, if desired)

• 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten

• Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

• 8 slices toasted hearty brown bread (such as pumpernickel or rye)



Directions

Turn on oven and set to broiler.

In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the mayonnaise, shredded cheese, green onion, green pepper, worcestershire sauce and black pepper; mix well so that all ingredients are thoroughly blended together. Fold in the (previously stiffened) egg whites and stir lightly to combine.

Spoon an equal amount of the cheese and egg white mixture onto each of the eight slices of bread. Place bread on a non-stick baking sheet and place under the broiler until the cheese and egg mixture has puffed up and turned golden brown (about 4 minutes – watch carefully, as it’s very easy to burn things cooked under the broiler).

Serve cooked cheese puffs immediately (can keep warm under a layer of tinfoil for a few minutes, but the cheese and egg mixture will deflate a bit and the bread may soften slightly – the sooner this dish is served, the better).


Makes 8 appetizer sized portions or served 2-4 as part of a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment